Wisconsin Credit Freeze Instructions

How do I add a credit freeze?

To place a freeze, you must write to each of the three credit bureaus. You must provide identifying information. If you are a victim of identity theft, you must provide proof that you are a victim of identity theft. Proof includes reports to law enforcement agencies concerning identity theft. All others must pay a $10 charge. Write to all three of the following addresses:

Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348

Experian Security Freeze P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013

Trans Union Security Freeze P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You must:

  • Send a letter by certified mail
  • Include a copy of either the police report, investigative report, or complaint to a law enforcement agency concerning identity theft
  • Provide your full name (including middle initial as well as Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.,) address, Social Security number, and date of birth
  • If you have moved in the past 5 years, supply the addresses where you have lived over the prior 5 years
  • Provide proof of current address such as a current utility bill or phone bill
  • Send a photocopy of a government issued identification card (state driver’s license or ID card, military identification, etc.)
  • If applicable, provide payment by check, money order, or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover cards only.)
How much will it cost?
No fee for an "individual who submits evidence satisfactory to the CRAs that the individual made a report to a law enforcement agency. $10 for others to place, temporarily lift or remove freeze.

Background on Credit Freeze

If you are a resident of Wisconsin, you have the right as of January 1, 2007 to place a credit freeze on your credit report if you are a victim of identity theft who has filed a police, investigative report, or complaint to a law enforcement agency concerning identity theft. A Credit Freeze will prevent access to your credit report, allowing you to control which companies may see your credit report. However, there are certain exemptions to the Credit Freeze allowed by state law that allows companies to view your report even though it is frozen.

Author: Richard Patterson

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment