North Carolina Credit Freeze Instructions

How do I add a security freeze?

Any consumer can request a credit freeze. They’re free for anyone who requests a credit freeze online.  If requesting by phone or mail it is free to identity theft victims who have filed a police report, their spouses and citizens older than 62. Other consumers could be charged $3 to each of the three credit bureaus if filing by mail or phone.  However, none of the credit bureaus are charging at this time.

To place a freeze by mail, send a letter by certified mail to each of the three credit bureaus that includes the following information:

  • Full name including middle initial and any suffix (such as Jr.)
  • Home addresses for the last five years
  • Social Security Number and date of birth
  • Two proofs of residence (examples: copy of driver’s license, utility bill, insurance statement, bank statement)
  • Police or DMV report if you’re a victim of identity theft

    Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348

    Experian Security Freeze P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013

    Trans Union Security Freeze P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

To place a freeze online you will need to contact each of the bureaus through the following links:

Be prepared to provide detailed information about yourself, including:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your date of birht
  • Your social security number

This information will help them verify your identity.

How much will it cost?
No fees for anyone requesting a credit freeze online.  ID theft victims with valid report/complaint with law enforcement agency, their spouses and citzens over the age of 62 can request a freeze over the phone or through the mail for free. For others the state allows the bureaus to charge $3 to place, remove, temporarily suspend, or replace a PIN after the first time.

Background on Credit Freeze

If you are a resident of North Carolina, you have had the right as of October 1, 2009 to place a credit freeze on your credit report for free if request is submitted online.  If you are a victim of identity theft who has filed a police, investigative report, or complaint to a law enforcement agency concerning identity theft, are a vicitm’s spouse or are more than 62 years old you can place a freeze over the phone or via the mail for free.  The state law allows the three credit bureaus to charge all other citizens up to $3 to place a freeze over the phone or via the mail.   A Credit Freeze will prevent access to your credit report, allowing you to control which companies may see your credit report. However, there are certain exemptions to the Credit Freeze allowed by state law that allows companies to view your report even though it is frozen.

Author: Richard Patterson

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment