Kentucky Credit Freeze Instructions
- How do I add a security freeze?
To place a freeze, you must provide identifying information, and, if you are a victim, you must include a copy of your police report to avoid a charge paying a $10 fee. (This fee may be increased based on the increase in the CPI (consumer price index), rounded to the nearest $0.25.) Write to all three addresses below and include the information that follows:
Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Experian Security Freeze P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
Trans Union Security Freeze P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
For each, you must:
- Send a letter by certified mail
- If you are a victim, include a copy of your the police report concerning identity theft
- Provide your full name (including middle initial as well as Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.,) address, Social Security number, and date of birth
- If you have moved in the past 5 years, supply the addresses where you have lived over the prior 5 years
- Provide proof of current address such as a current utility bill or phone bill
- Send a photocopy of a government issued identification card (state driver’s license or ID card, military identification, etc.)
- If applicable, include a payment by check, money order or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover cards only.)
- How much will it cost?
- No fees on ID theft victims who provide a police report. Others pay up to $10 to place, remove, temporarily suspend, or have PIN reissued.
Background on Credit Freeze
If you are a resident of Kentucky, you have had the right as of July 11, 2006 to place a credit freeze on your credit report if you are a victim of identity theft who has filed a police, investigative report, or complaint to a law enforcement agency concerning identity theft. A Credit Freeze will prevent access to your credit report, allowing you to control which companies may see your credit report. However, there are certain exemptions to the Credit Freeze allowed by state law that allows companies to view your report even though it is frozen.