Maryland Credit Freeze Instructions
- How do I add a credit freeze?
To place a freeze, you must write to each of the three credit bureaus. Write to all three addresses below and include the information that follows:
Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Experian Security Freeze P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
Trans Union Security Freeze P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
For each, you must:
- Send a letter by certified mail
- Provide your full name (including middle initial as well as Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.,) address, Social Security number, and date of birth
- If you have moved in the past 5 years, supply the addresses where you have lived over the prior 5 years.
- Provide proof of current address such as a current utility bill or phone bill
- Send a photocopy of a government issued identification card (state driver’s license or ID card, military identification, etc.)
- If applicable, provide payment by check, money order or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover only.)
- How much will it cost?
- No fee for identity theft victims. All others pay $5 to place, temporarily lift or remove the freeze.
Background on Credit Freeze
If you are a resident of California, you have the right as of January 1, 2008 to place a credit freeze on your credit report. A Credit Freeze will prevent access to your credit report, allowing you to control which companies may see your credit report. However, there are certain exemptions to the Credit Freeze allowed by state law that allows companies to view your report even though it is frozen.