- How do I add a credit freeze?
To place a freeze, you must write to each of the three credit bureaus. Write to all three addresses below and include the information that follows:
Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Experian Security Freeze P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
Trans Union Security Freeze P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
For each, you must:
- Send a letter by certified mail
- If you are a victim of identity theft include a copy of either the police report, investigative report, or complaint to a law enforcement agency concerning identity theft
- Provide your full name (including middle initial as well as Jr., Sr., II, III, etc.,) address, Social Security number, and date of birth
- If you have moved in the past 5 years, supply the addresses where you have lived over the prior 5 years
- Provide proof of current address such as a current utility bill or phone bill
- Send a photocopy of a government issued identification card (state driver’s license or ID card, military identification, etc.)
- How much will it cost?
- There is a $10 fee for each bureau to place, temporaily lift or remove freeze.
Background on Credit Freeze
If you are a resident of a state that does not have credit freeze laws, you will have the right as of January 1, 2008 to place a credit freeze on your credit report. A Credit Freeze will prevent access to your credit report, allowing you to control which companies may see your credit report.